This article will guide you through advanced building editor techniques. You will become familiar with strategies to obtain a high resolution floor plan image file, strategies to capture a floor plan image, file types and image dimensions that are compatible with the Neon Building Editor, and image editing tools.
This section will continue to use the Wisconsin State Fire Chief's Association 2014 example.
Floor Plan Image Requirements
- The image file must be either a PNG or JPEG.
- The image file can be no greater than 2048 pixels
Strategies to Find a Floor Plan Image
- Visit the convention center's web page. Keywords to look out for include: "Floor Plans", "Plans", and "Schematics".
- Visit the convention's web page.
- Google image search.
- Visit the convention center's webpage. Keywords to look out for include: "Floor plans", "Plans", and "Schematics". http://wisconsincenter.org/categories/2-wisconsincenter/documents/36-floor-plans-specs
- Visit the convention's web page
- Google image search Search for "Wisconsin Center Floor Plan"
Strategies to capture a floor plan image
- Find a download link on a website
- Right Click -> Save As
- Right Click -> Print to PDF
- PrntScn -> Paste into MS Paint
- Request from demonstration coordinator
- Download the general floor plan from the convention center's website
- Download the trade show specific floor plan from the trade show's web site.
Image Editing Tools Overview
- Foxit PDF Reader - Use this to convert .pdf to .png
- Paint .NET - Use this to blend two images
- Website: http://www.getpaint.net/
- MS Paint - Use this to resize images
Image Editing Tools - Foxit PDF Reader
Use Foxit PDF reader to convert .pdf to .png
- Open the file in Foxit PDF Reader
- Zoom in
- Use snapshot tool to select the part of the image to copy to the clipboard
- Paste into MS Paint
- Save as .png
- Open the Wisconsin Center floor 1 file in Foxit PDF Reader
- Zoom in
- Use snapshot tool to select the part of the image to copy to the clipboard.
- Paste into MS Paint
- Save As .png
Image Editing Tools - Paint .NET
Use Paint .NET to blend two images. You may want to do this if you have a basic convention center floor plan and want to overlay a specific trade show layout onto it.
Refer to this Youtube video to learn how to combine two pictures in Paint .NET. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt4FEtJBif0
Refer to this Youtube video to learn this basics of layers and image transparency in Paint .NET. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z76ivYqXG0
We have the floor plan for the Wisconsin Center and the floor plan for the Wisconsin Fire Chiefs Association Expo. We want to overlay the expo floor plan onto the Wisconsin Center floor plan to create one image file.
Image Editing Tools - MS Paint
Use MS Paint to resize an image to a max of 2048 pixels.
- Open the image file in MS Paint.
- Select the Resize tool.
- Ensure that Maintain Aspect Ratio is selected.
- Enter 2048 into the field with the larger number of pixels.
- Save the file!
- Open the Wisconsin Center floor 1 file in MS Paint
- Select the resize tool